top of page

AVAILABLE ON DAB

ACROSS

 STOKE-ON-TRENT, NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, SOUTH CHESHIRE

Bonfire night call-outs



We were called to more than 50 bonfire related incidents over the weekend across the county despite the poor weather.

Between 6pm on Friday (3 November) and 6am on Monday (6 November), we responded to a total of 54 incidents related to bonfires and fireworks.

Crews from Hanley and Newcastle went to the Snow Hill area in Stoke-on-Trent yesterday (Sunday 5 November) just after 9.15pm following reports that fireworks had been deliberately fired into Hanley Masonic Hall.

Luckily, no one was inside the building and no one was injured. We used hose reels to extinguish the fire and colleagues from Staffordshire Police are now investigating.

Separately, three men suffered burns from a firework-related incident in the Ball Green area of Stoke-on-Trent yesterday (Sunday 5 November) just after 7.45pm. Although, thankfully, none of them needed hospital treatment.

Ian Read, Head of Prevent, Protect and Partnerships at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Bonfire Night and the days surrounding it can be a busy period for our firefighters.

“We always strongly advise people to attend professionally organised displays because we know they are much safer and have first aid on hand.

“If you’re planning to celebrate with fireworks at home please plan very carefully, take care and remember to follow the firework code.

“We don’t recommend having a bonfire in your garden. They can easily get out of hand and spread quickly to hedges, overhanging tress and garages, even to the house.”

Those celebrating Diwali next weekend (Sunday 12 November) are advised of the added risks of accidental fires with many families coming together and using candles, fireworks and traditional oil lamps.

Known as the ‘Festival of Lights’, Diwali is a bright and vibrant occasion, but it is important to make sure that all candles are in a safe and secure holder, and placed on a heat resistant surface, away from soft furnishings and out of the reach of young people and pets.

Candles should not be left unattended at any time. Make sure you put them out safely before you leave a room or go to bed, or consider using LED candles instead.

For more advice on how to stay safe and minimise the risk of accidental fires, visit our website: Bonfire night safety (staffordshirefire.gov.uk)








Comentarios


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
avanti.PNG
1FEB5CEE-CFDB-4215-A99C-2765E01E1CF7.png
bottom of page