top of page

AVAILABLE ON DAB

ACROSS

 STOKE-ON-TRENT, NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, SOUTH CHESHIRE

Families warned not to use baby self-feeding pillows



People in Staffordshire are being urged not to buy or use baby self-feeding pillows, following an urgent safety alert issued by the Office for Product Safety and Standards.

Trading Standards officers at Staffordshire County Council want people to stop using them immediately and to dispose of them safely.

Baby self-feeding pillow products are designed to be attached to a bottle so that the baby may be positioned on its back to self-feed without the assistance of a caregiver holding the bottle and controlling the feed. This is inconsistent with NHS guidance in relation to safe bottle feeding.

When used as intended, even whilst under the supervision of a caregiver, it could lead to immediate, serious harm or death from choking or aspiration pneumonia.

The Office for Product Safety undertook an investigation into the product, following initial contacts from Trading Standards and the Child Accident Prevention Trust concerning the safety of them. The investigation found that the products did not comply with the safety requirements set down in the General Product Safety Regulations, 2005.


Trading Standards officers are now working with local businesses selling the items to make sure they are removed from sale.


Victoria Wilson, Cabinet Member responsible for Trading Standards at Staffordshire County Council said: “It’s really important that people stop using these products immediately as they are not safe and could cause serious harm to their baby. People should dispose of the product or return it to the shop where it was bought.


“Our Trading Standards service are also working with local businesses who sell these products and are asking them to remove them from the shelves. It’s also possible that products could be available at local markets, in second-hand shops and on social media websites. Again, I would remind people not to buy or use them and let other friends and relatives with babies or young children know about the issue.”


People can get further advice from the Office for Product Safety and Standards website.





  • Facebook
  • Twitter
avanti.PNG
1FEB5CEE-CFDB-4215-A99C-2765E01E1CF7.png
bottom of page