top of page





PORT Vale fall to defeat on Boxing Day despite second half goals from Ethan Chislett and Jack Shorrock.

The opening ten minutes of the game were relatively quiet. Midfielder Alfie Devine attempted to liven things up in the eighth minute with a long range effort that was put over the bar.

In the 17th minute however an unfortunate deflection off a Port Vale midfielder allowed Barnsley to counterattack. Herbie Kane chipped the ball over the defense, and Adam Phillips nodded the ball over Connor Ripley into the back of the net.

Vale started to respond and in the 24th minute Ethan Chislett nearly scored an excellent volley from just outside the area but it was tipped over the bar by Barnsley goalkeeper Liam Roberts.

The Tykes extended their lead in the 32nd minute. An attack down the left side of the pitch led to Devante Cole pulling the ball back for John McAtee who slotted home past Ripley.

Once again The Valiants attempted to respond from a corner with Alex Iacovitti nodding the ball just over the bar in the 36th minute.

In the 37th minute John McAtee scored a long range effort to extend Barnsley lead to three goals to nil.

Vale started the second half on the front foot looking to make amends. Alex Iacovitti had a shot blocked in the 47th minute. A few minutes later a strong attack from James Wilson who found Iacovitti in the box again was cleared by the Barnsley defense.

The strong start to the second half nearly yielded a goal as Ethan Chislett put the ball into the back of the net. It was ruled out for offside however, and Vale remained three goals down.

The pressure was sustained with James Wilson and Iacovitti both having efforts blocked before Devine took his second long range shot of the day that was stopped and held by Roberts.

In the 68th minute Wilson played in Chislett who managed to get off a good shot from a tight angle but the ball just went over the bar. Barnsley then attacked immediately after but the shot was saved and held by Ripley.

The connection between Wilson and Chislett paid off in the 73rd minute as the South African midfielder scored his fifth goal of the season, cutting inside after receiving the pass, curling the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

The Valiants had all the possession after the goal, with some attempts to cut the deficit even further.

Wilson had the best chance. A cross that cut across the front of the goal was pulled back for the striker whose headed effort was only kept out by a strong save from the Barnsley keeper. Chislett also had an effort saved in the second minute of added time.

Vale Park came alive in the 94th minute however after Jack Shorrock headed home a cross from close range to reduce the deficit to one goal with three minutes to go.

A much improved second half performance was not enough however as the full time whistle blew to condemn Vale to a 3-2 defeat.


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page